Sunday, January 26

Q&A With Drawdrobe


Today we've been lucky enough to get a few words with one of my personal favourite Scottish bloggers- Tasha from Drawdrobe. Her blog is a varied mixture of beauty, fashion and lifestyle. Over the festive period her crafty posts really stood out to me. We would love it if you had a wee look at her blog.



We only been following your blog for a few months but how long have you been blogging and what made you want to start?
I started my blog last April, but I’ve only been blogging regularly for the past few months. I really enjoyed being the fashion editor of my uni’s student paper, and when I graduated last summer I wanted to be able to continue writing about the things I loved best!

We loved all the crafting posts leading up to Christmas but what's your favourite post to write?
Thank you! I really enjoy writing the craft posts. My mum and my granny have encouraged my creative side since I was really young, and I’ve always loved doing creative things. I love browsing Pinterest for inspiration, coming up with my own way of doing things, making it, photographing it, and trying to write easy instructions on how I did it! 


We always enjoy your style posts but rarely see what you wear yourself. If you could describe your style in one word, what would it be and where or who do you look to for style inspiration?
I know, I’m far too shy/self-conscious to do ‘proper’ OOTD posts, but I’m trying to include more this year - I’m laying the clothes out on the floor instead of photographing me wearing them! I don’t really know how I’d describe my style. I like classic pieces, nothing too fussy; I don’t go shopping that much, instead I invest time in searching out the exactpiece that I want, or getting my granny to help me make it! I wear a lot of black, white, navy and red, and not much else. For style inspiration, I look to films and stars of the 50s and 60s: Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Tippi Hedren. But lately I’ve been having a total girl crush on Veronica Lake - I want her hair so bad! I also love flicking through vintage sewing patterns and old fashion catalogues and magazines for ideas. My favourite silhouette is the Dior New Look: tiny waist, huge skirt. Ideally I’d dress like that every day, but sometimes it’s not very practical!


What do you enjoy most about blogging?
I think every blogger loves receiving comments. It makes me so happy that someone has engaged with what I’ve written enough to leave a response! I love the whole community aspect of blogging: comments, Twitter chats, meeting up in real life. It’s like having a family you can carry around in your pocket!


We are always looking up to other bloggers and want our own blogs to be as well written and professional as theirs. Who do you aspire to?
I’m going to be honest here and say that I’ve stopped reading a lot of blogs lately. There seems to have been a huge influx of sponsored content in the last year or so, and loads of my old favourites just seem to be posting about the same clothes, same events, even the same food! Saying that, there are a few that are bucking this awful trend: I love the formidable duo of Betty + Bee to keep me updated on all things Scotland; les anti-modernes and The Nife en l’Air for their musings on minimalism and mindfulness; and the beautiful a pair & a spare for DIY inspiration.

We think your blog has a lot of great tips about jobs in the fashion industry and journalism but are there any other advise you could give us?
Thank you so much! I loved writing up those posts, and I have some more planned for the coming year. Hopefully I’ll turn it into a regular series! My only advice would be to work hard, write as much as you possibly can and be always improving. I’m still chasing my career myself, but I’m putting my name out there as much as possible and biting every chance offered to me. My Christmas and birthday list was packed full of books about journalism and fashion history; such a geek!


Finally, do you have any advice or helpful tips you could give to new bloggers just starting out?

I think I’ll have to steal a phrase from Nike and say, Just Do It! I wasted so much time hunting for the perfect lay-out, searching for the perfect post ideas, and reading other bloggers’ articles about how to blog. Honestly, you don’t need any of that. In fact - stay as far away from that kind of thing as you can! I started reading blogs waaaay back in the early 00s when they were literally online diaries. I hope we can return to that sort of thing. Not that I want to read everyone’s deepest secrets (okay maybe I do), but I loved how individual and personal everything was back then. Now it seems that everyone has the same layout, talks about the same stuff, wears the same things… another of my resolutions was to be more individual, and stop worrying about what everyone else was doing. It’s difficult!

 BlogTwitterFacebookPinterestBloglovin'

No comments:

Post a Comment