Wednesday, March 26

Glasvegan Grub with Banter and Bargains

Hiya, I'm Adele and I love a bargain. I'm always keeping my peepers peeled for what's cheap, free or good in Glasgow and I can always be found rummaging in charity shops. If you fancy following my patter, I'm @bargainburd on Twitter and you can have a swatch of my blog, Banter and Bargains.

Glaswegian vegans (or Glasvegans, as I like to call them) have never had it so good. Peta named the city the most vegan-friendly in the UK and there are lots of lovely vegan restaurants to choose from. Here are my recommendations of where to go and when, for food that will please your palate and purse.

Cosy and quirky Stereo is the place to be on Meat Free Monday, when you can have five of their tapas dishes for £12. Options include sweet potato chips, tempura and spring rolls, which normally cost £3.75 each, so it’s well worth visiting for a Monday meal. Stereo’s soup and sandwich deal at £6.50 is also worth a try, as they bake their own organic bread and always have a pot or two of hearty soup on the go.



The Flying Duck is well worth a visit on Taco Tuesday and for only £2, you get two tacos, filled with homemade vegan chilli, plus some fresh guacamole, salsa and nachos. It’s unbelievably amazing value and it’s a lovely place to while away an afternoon, playing one of their many board games or having a wee read of one of their books in the homely kitchen bar.



I absolutely love Mono and their genius of a chef has managed to veganise all my old fat favourites, such as burgers and doughnuts, which many a vegan would ordinarily mourn. I highly recommend visiting on a Wednesday, as you can get a beer and burger for a fiver and OH what a burger it is. This seitan burger comes in a seeded bun, with all the gherkin, ketchup and mustardy trimmings and is served diner-style in a wee plastic basket. It is, without a doubt, THE best veggie burger I have ever eaten and is the closest you'll get to the real thing (it's actually better).

On Thursdays, The 78 hosts its weekly Dutchy Pot event, where there's a set menu of cheap and comforting food, which is full of goodness and entirely vegan. The last time I went, the menu consisted of kale, spinach and coconut soup (£2) which was absolutely delicious, followed by Jamaican bean stew with quinoa (£5), with sides of chunky chips or flatbread (£2) and some gorgeous ginger and chocolate cake for dessert (£2). The staff were relaxed and friendly and added to the pleasant experience where the atmosphere was warm and welcoming, with dim lighting, old records and comfy armchairs that wouldn't look out of place in your own living room.


I was surprised to see that the #Glasvegan hashtag didn’t exist and I was also pretty gutted to discover I didn’t invent the word. Anyway, #Glasvegans, where are you? Get involved!


5 comments:

  1. Sounds good! I'm a veggie up in Aberdeen, but I am taking note for when I'm next down in Glasgow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a vegetarian in Glasgow and I do think there are a lot of meat-free options (at least compared to some other cities I've visited!) I will definitely be checking out some of these cheap deals!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great list! Mono was always one of my favourites when I haunted Glasgow as a vegetarian student, but none of the others have ever entered into my radar and I'm definitely bookmarking this for future reference xo

    http://laurawhispering.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you liked it! There's so much good grub to be had in Glasgow and I hear there's a new vegan and vegetarian Indian restaurant opening soon in the west end!

    ReplyDelete