Friday, December 12

Tunnock's Teacake Brooches with Emuse


Hi everyone, I’m Emma of craft blog emuse (emusing-emma.blogspot.com), and I’m delighted to be posting here on Scot Bloggers today. I live in Fife, I’ve been crafting for as long as I can remember, and I’ve been blogging for about 8 years. My blog is a mixture of craft tutorials, thrifted items, book reviews and much more. The post I’m sharing with you today is a craft based on something delicious that I love… Tunnock’s Teacakes!


If you watched the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony, you would have seen what inspired me to make these - the giant dancing Tunnock's Teacakes! These are a delicious treat that I’m sure will be familiar to you all, with a biscuity base topped with mallow and enclosed in chocolate.

Here's how I made my brooches. It was quite a challenge to simplify the design enough to make them possible to make quickly, but still be recognisable.


1. Cut two circles of grey felt, and a smaller circle of red felt.

2. Embroider red lines across one of the grey circles.

3. Sew a red circle on top of this, using a running stitch in white thread around the edge. Then embroider an eight-pointed star in the middle.

4. Use blanket stitch to sew around the edge, leaving about an inch so you can stuff it.

5. Stuff, and finish sewing around the edge with blanket stitch.

6. Sew a brooch back on.


I presented them by putting them on yellow card, with my logo stamped in red, matching the colours of the Tunnock's packaging.

These sold like hot cakes at a little craft sale I held at my workplace! I loved seeing people's smiles of delight when they saw them. I had to go home and make more that weekend as lots of people were asking for them.

I hope that you’ve enjoyed my post today on Scot Bloggers – if so, there’s lots more crafty fun over on my blog emuse.

Find Emma...

No comments:

Post a Comment