Wednesday, November 16

DIY Christmas Gift Idea | How to Make Your Own Candle with Scotch Miss


Hey everyone,

My name is Abbey and I've only been a blogger for a couple of months, so please go easy on me :-)

My blog is called Scotch Miss, and I try to publish three times a week usually Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I live just outside Glasgow and I have a particular love for candles and Scottie dogs.

With Christmas rapidly approaching (I mean seriously, it could give Usain Bolt a run for his money!) I thought it would be the perfect time to share with you how I make my own candles. I think these would make gorgeous personal gifts, especially for those Secret Santa dips!

So, without further ado, here's what you'll need to make your own candle;

1 Candle Can
24g Candle Fragrance Oil
211g Soy Wax
1 Wick & Sustainer
Glue Dot/Sticky Pad
Worktop Scales
1 Large Pan
1 Small Pan
1 Measuring Jug



Step 1 - Weight, Boil, Melt.
  • Weigh out your soy wax. 
  • Fill the larger of your pans to a third of it's volume with water and let it come to the boil. 
  • Place your wax into the smaller of your pans and sit it inside the now boiling water, making sure you stir it regularly.

Step 2 - Lets Get Sticky

  • Use your glue dots/sticky pads and attach one to the bottom of your wick sustainer. 
  • Attach the sticky wick sustainer to the bottom of your candle can, making it as central and straight as possible.

Step 3 - Bottoms Up

  • Once your wax has melted, pour it into your measuring jug.
  • Add your scent of choice and stir for 2 minutes.
  • Pour the wax into your candle can and make sure the wick is centred. If the wick isn't straight, pin it in place using pencils or straws. 
  • Leave your candle to set for 4 hours and try not to burn it for a week to let it cure.
  • Once the candle has cured, trim the wick to 1/4 inch.

You can leave your candle here, or you can cover the tin with paper or material of your choice. The scent I used for this candle is 'Lord of the Glen' so I chose a brown paper to cover my tin. You can wrap your candle in cellophane wrap with some gorgeous Xmas ribbon if you'd like to gift it for Xmas. Or you can do what I did and add a bit of Xmas ribbon with a candy cane.



I hope you enjoy this post and have fun making your own candles, I'd love to see photos of them so please feel free to tweet them to me @scotchmissblog.

Love and hugs,
Find Abbey...

No comments:

Post a Comment