Wednesday, January 22

Great Gatsby Inspired Day Look With Joanna


Hi there, that larger than life photo is me! I'm Joanna and I write over at www.the-orchard.me. The Orchard is a lifestyle blog that I fill with anything that comes into my mind. That generally consists of all things beauty (such as product reviews and make-up tutorials), art (such as my favourite artists or something beautiful I have come across), food (what can I say I love food) and generally what I've been getting up to in North Scotland. So if this seems like a place you'd like to hang out I'd love to have you join me! I'm also on twitter, instagram and pinterest (links are on my blog) and I do love a good chat. So get in touch!
Anyway, that's enough about me. I'm sure you're thinking "I though this was a Great Gatsby Make-Up tutorial". If you were thinking that you would not be mistaken, so let's start!


First off I used Benefits Porefessional primer followed by Revlon Nearly Naked foundation. This is a pretty natural look so I didn't want anything too heavy. But I still wanted it to stay on all day!

The same idea goes for the eyes. The look is really about the liner but I still wanted something to brighten my eye lid. So I used the Smashbox Heat Wave palette. Now, I don't know what they are called so I pointed to them below...


I used the lighter colour all over the eye lid and blended the darker one into the crease.


See, much more alive looking!

Next it was down to the liner. I used Benefits Magic Ink liner. I know this is quite expensive but the brush is so fine that it is perfect for getting just the right kind of line. All I can say when using liquid liner is have patience and practice.

For this look in particular I was going for quite a straight line with a long flick, but without too much of a curve. Like this...



Add a light layer of mascara and that's your eyes done! Easy Peasy! I used Full Exposure by Smashbox.

I wanted to keep my complexion really natural so opted for some Hervanna by Benefit on the apples of my cheeks.


Add a little lip colour and that's you! I used No7 Stay Perfect Lip Laquer. I kid you not, this stuff stays on forever!


I'll tell you a story about how well this stays on if you promise to keep it a secret?

Promise?

Ok then. When I first got this it was graduation week. I was exhausted and had to go out for dinner with the boyfriends parents. I threw a bit of this on and headed out.

I had a full Sunday roast with all the trimmings, I had desert and I had a substantial amount of wine. And the stuff stayed put during it all!

But it doesn't end there... I got home and A and I decided to snuggle up in bed and watch a movie. I thought I'll take my make-up off after.

But... I fell asleep... (don't judge me, it was a long week!).

Anyway, the point of my story is that when I woke up the next morning... It was still there! I honestly could have walked out the door and nobody would have known! (I didn't do that, honest).

Anyway, I digress! Back to Gatsby!

Here is my finished look!



No comments:

Post a Comment